Collaborative Program with St. Mary's
St. Mary’s University and The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Nursing (UTHSCSA SoN) agree to offer qualified students the opportunity to participate in a collaborative program that facilitates early acceptance in the SoN and to receive both a Bachelor of Arts degree in Combined Sciences and a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing.
To participate in this program:
- The student must be enrolled as a first-time freshman at St. Mary’s University.
- The student will undergo a review process at St. Mary’s after the freshman year which will determine eligibility to apply for the program.
- To be selected to apply for the program, the student must meet the eligibility requirements listed below:
- successfully completed at least 26 semester credit hours of specified courses, including at least 20 hours in science and math at St. Mary’s University
- earned a minimum 3.3 science GPA and 3.0 overall GPA at St. Mary’s
- demonstrated, in a written personal statement, an understanding of the nursing profession and a desire to pursue the field
- If the student is not selected to apply for the program, the student will be advised to follow the B.A. or B.S. Biology degree plan and apply for an accelerate nursing program after completing the degree.
- If the student is selected to apply, the student must apply for the NEAP by January 10th of the Sophomore year after successfully completing at least 26 but not more than 60 semester credit hours of specified prerequisite courses, including at least 20 hours in science and math at St. Mary’s University.
- The student must submit a NEAP application to the Pre-Health Professions Advisor who will pair the application with the student’s unofficial St. Mary’s transcript.
- If granted early acceptance in the SoN, the student must:
- complete the NEAP 3+2 degree plan and maintain a minimum 3.3 science GPA and 3.0 overall GPA (grades will be verified each semester by the nursing advisor at St. Mary’s)
- achieve a minimum score of 70% on the TEAS V standardized exam
- be up-to-date on all immunizations including all Hep A&B series
- receive CPR certification through the American Heart Association
- submit an official UTHSCSA SoN application and official college or university transcripts through the NursingCAS along with an application fee during the Spring semester of the junior year prior to matriculating into the SoN
- pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation into the SoN
- If the accepted student meets all of the requirements listed in item 7, the student will matriculate to the SoN the Fall semester following the junior year.
- The student will submit an official application to the SoN through the NursingCAS during the Spring semester of the junior year prior to matriculating to the SoN.
- If the accepted student fails to meet one or more of the requirements listed in item 7, the student will be advised to apply to the SoN with the general applicant pool through the NursingCAS by the posted application deadline.