About the PhD Program
For admissions information click here.
Do you want to pursue graduate education for a career as a clinical nurse scientist?
If so, the PhD program with a focus on Nursing will give you this education. The
BSN to PhD program is offered by The University of Texas Health Science Center at
San Antonio School of Nursing in San Antonio, Texas. The PhD degree is awarded
by the Graduate School
of Biomedical Sciences. Individuals with MSN degrees receive advanced placement
in the doctoral program.
The objective of the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing Program is to prepare the student for a career as an independent researcher who, through course selection and experience, develops as a teacher and disseminator of knowledge within professional, academic and clinical arenas.
BSN to PhD Program Plans
Post-MSN PhD Program Plans
Upon completion of the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing Program students will:
- Advance the discipline of nursing through the generation of new knowledge and theory.
- Demonstrate excellence as a clinical researcher in the health sciences in a focal area of nursing.
- Synthesize theories from natural and/or behavioral sciences for application to a specified area of nursing.
- Advance evidence-based clinical practice.
- Assume nurse scientist roles within academic health centers and other interdisciplinary health sciences and educational institutions.
- Evaluate the value and knowledge components of philosophical and ethical dimensions of issues confronting healthcare and nursing.